Tuesday, July 24, 2007

let's run away

so i read harry potter 7 yesterday. i just took the day and read it, and it was worth it. i highly recommend the series and the book. i continue to be happy with what rowling did. i won't say any more right now.

the twins keep losing.

i played kickball today rather than my normal tuesday night ultimate frisbee (because i was back in my hometown for work). i kicked in two runs in the first inning and scored a run myself. in the third, i tried to stretch a run-scoring single into a double, basically ran into the outfield while rounding first (the field was so small), and got out, preventing the run from scoring (i'm stupid). in the fifth, with two out and runners on second and third, i kicked a pretty good one deep into left, but it was caught. so yeah, i stranded three runners in scoring position, making me worst player of the game (maybe not really, but....). the game ended up tied after six innings with the game needing to finish up to make room for the next team.

last weekend i played a bunch of ultimate, and i had a great time. i wasn't feeling the best about how well i was playing, but my team needed me to play some points, and i could do that, and play hard defense (mark in the cup, mostly). it reminded me of ron gardenhire talking about how important it was for ponson and ortiz to eat up innings as starting pitchers earlier this season for the twins.

is the blog-i-ness of this entry getting to you? i figured it would be. now i just need to start emoting about the girls i like or something like that.

but lest you fear, i spent my drive between homes writing down a list of albums that i consider important to me, in a situated way. in other words, i am not in this case going to go back through and decide whether some album has withstood the test of time, but rather let you know what albums i liked at various points in my life--what was important to me. and i encourage you to come up with a list like this of your own. think back to every year of your life--as best you can--perhaps do a little research to find out when certain albums were available, or remember what you were doing when you listened to something in particular. that's what i spent four hours in the car doing today, and i think i did pretty well. you should try this and post it here or send it to me.

for some reason, this summer i've felt like this... (yes, i'm trying to make this the bloggiest entry possible still)

i think i need a new heart by the magnetic fields

time stands still
all i can feel is the time standing still
as you put down the keys
and say don't call me please
while the radio plays

"i think i need a new heart"
"i think i need a new heart"

you've lied too
but it's a sin that i
can't tell the truth
cause it all comes out wrong
unless i put it in a song
so the radio plays
"i think i need a new heart"
just for you
"i think i need a new heart"

cause i always say i love you
when i mean turn out the light
and i say let's run away
when i just mean stay the night
but the words you want to hear
you will never hear from me

i'll never say "happy anniversary"
never stay to say "happy anniversary"

so i think i need a new heart
i think i need a new heart
give me time

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Personally I vote for your emoting about girls you like :-).

This isn't quite what you asked for, but a friend assigned me the letter "D" for a "One Letter Ten Songs Meme" (List 10 songs that begin with the letter given to you and explain why you picked them) for my lj blog and I will repost it here until such a day as I get around to thinking through year by year.

"What fun this is! Gave me a chance to listen to all the songs starting with “D” on my media player. Will probably listen to the rest of my digitized collection in alphabetical order. Hard to leave some of the “D” songs off this list, but the Honorable Mentions could’ve scrolled on for a long time.

1. Dance Away (Roxy Music). I remember listening to this song on the radio when stranded out at my parents’ place in Wisconsin and not knowing for years who sang it. I think I finally learned when Avalon was released.

2. Day after Day (Alan Parsons Project). A song my best friend from childhood and I learned by heart and sang incessantly as we walked the road out at Wisconsin looking at the stars. Alan Parsons Project was my favorite band for many years. I-Robot and Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon are companion albums in my mind. Turn of the Friendly Card was another important album in my life.

3. Diamond in the Rough (Shawn Colvin). First heard while driving across country with my best friend from childhood. She flew out to Vermont and we drove from Goddard College to San Francisco. I’ll never forget her talking about the great earthquake as we drove across the Bay Bridge the image of which returned every time I drove on it. After a while I started playing The Dead of the Night every time I crossed the bridge on my home from a writing group.

4. Did it in a Minute (Hall & Oates). Not my all-time favorite Hall & Oates song, but hey, wardo68 stuck me with the letter “D” ;-) -- although he'd probably prefer that I blame it on wardo86... It’s a Laugh was my favorite H&O song for many years and probably the first song it took me a long time to track down and get a copy of. Wait for Me is my favorite H&O song. I will admit that Did it In a Minute accompanied me on many a moody walk when I was living in Indiana.

5. Digging in the Dirt (Peter Gabriel). Brings me back to the 2 years that I lived in San Francisco, in the ‘in-law’ apartment of my mom’s house in the Sunset district listening to great radio stations.

6. Digital Love (Daft Club). A great summer weekend, riding in my brother’s boat around Lake Minnetonka with “Brad Troy” (so-named because Troy was gorgeous like Brad as in Pitt), tying up with a ton of other boats drinking crazy drinks, playing in the water, and hanging out at Lord Fletcher’s on the Lake.

7. Do I Love You (Lake). Another song from another album that my best friend from childhood introduced me to. We sang this song and Time Bomb over and over and over. I’ve been searching for the album for years since her copy eventually got warped. Whenever I searched for it, I’d always find tons of info about Emerson, Lake and Palmer, but never just Lake. A month or so ago I tried searching on Amazon and found it on DVD. I’ve had relatively good luck when I’ve been persistent about finding copies of beloved music with relatively little information. My first success was with tracking down a copy of the CD The Blue Jays by Justin Hayward and John Lodge of the Moody Blues. I was given an unlabeled tape of the album by some students of my father’s in Hong Kong when we spent my junior year of high school overseas. I forget how I tracked it down, but 13 years later, I bought a copy of the CD at a Tower Records in San Francisco.

8. Don’t Come Around Here No More (Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers). Hated Tom Petty in high school (esp. in the Refugee days). But right around graduation time – also probably right around the time I saw the video for this song, I became a convert and have almost as many Tom Petty albums as I do of the Eagles, Alan Parsons Project, and Hall & Oates.

9. Don’t Let Him Go (REO Speedwagon). Oh, oh, oh!! Gary Richrath was my most major celebrity crush. Even beat out Andy Gibb ;-). Although for some reason I thought he was the lead singer and was crushed to learn that Kevin Cronin was. Although reading the wikipedia article, I was right to think that Gary had much to do with the success of the band. I came on-board as an REO fan with Hi-Infidelity, but love a lot of the music on their compilation A Decade of Rock and Roll: 1970-1980. I always enjoyed their punny titles, especially You Can Tune a Piano, But You Can’t Tuna Fish.

10. Don’t Let the Sun Go Down on Me (Elton John). I don’t remember when this song came into my life. Although, along with Downtown and Blowin’ in the Wind (the Peter, Paul and Mary version) are associated with the beginning of my life in Minnesota."

4:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home