Friday, September 17, 2004

it's a hit

If you haven't listened to Rilo Kiley, I recommend changing that state of affairs in your life. if you have, make sure you've listened to the new album (more adventurous) that they are now touring to promote. i've posted the lyrics to one of their songs (the title track, current single, and one they have a funny video for on their website) - it's great political commentary and rhetoric and poetics and whatever else.

past that, i made it through another week of school - a busy one, but i actually like the current schedule that i'm ascribing to. i'm happily exploring graduate school options for the next part of my life. i'm happy where i'm at, but i over-limited myself when i chose this particular program for two years, knowing full well that i could go somewhere else for my phd. maybe i should just write my master's thesis on rilo kiley lyrics.

past that, the music i'm listening to a lot right now includes death cab for cutie, the garden state soundtrack, sigur ros (my mainstay for the last five years), shins, wilco, modest mouse (all indie stuff my brother got me into listening to i guess - not that i care because i think we have a pretty mutual relationship on the music front over time - he has influenced my taste recently, but i think i probably influenced him a lot before).

i'm actually having a lot of fun writing these posts because i haven't told anyone about this website. i'm going to try to prolong telling them as long as possible, then make them catch up, slog through a number of days of my life in one chunk - see what they think. rather than people checking a website too often and having it not be updated (as seems to often be the case), i'll update it a lot and direct them to the updates only every once in a while.

when i'm doing something like this, i really do have a strong urge to tell others about it - maybe not to brag, not to do anything except let them know that i'm doing it. i don't tell lots of people, but it would be interesting to tell some people.

at any rate, i think that the cool thing about this kind of thing is that people will get to see how i write when i'm in a pseudo-audienced situation - when one writes primarily for oneself (like a journal), it's different from writing stuff for other people to read, and this is somewhere in between. i think that's what makes it different from other things i've done. it's the main reason why i'm doing it i suppose. that and the fact that i had a friend (or an amalgamation of friends) tell me i should do this. did i mention that it was in a dream (you could probably guess since i used the word amalgamation, but i might as well be clear).

so now i have one more way to change the world (i'm collecting ways in case you hadn't guessed). i'll talk more about that in the future. i'm going to bed now - it's been a long day. good, but long.



Rilo Kiley - It's A Hit
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Any chimp can play human for a day
Use his opposable thumbs to iron his uniform
And run for office on election day
Fancy himself a real decision maker
And deploy more troops than salt shakers

But it's a jungle when war is made
And you'll panic and throw your own shit at the enemy
The camera pulls back to reveal your true identity
Look, it's a sheep in wolf's clothing
A smoking gun holding ape

Any asshole can open up a museum
Put all of the things he loves on display
So everyone could see them
The house, a car, a thoughtful wife
Ordinary moments in his ordinary life

But if she breaks a smile, she'll give you away
Cause no one wants to pay to see your happiness
No one wants to pay to see your day to day
And I'm not buying it either
But I'll try selling it anyway

Any idiot can play Greek for a day
And join a sorority or write a tragedy
And articulating all that pain
And maybe you'll get paid

But it's a sin when success complains
And your writers block, it don't mean shit
Just throw it against the wall and see what sticks
Gotta write a hit, I think this is it
It's a hit

And if it's not, then it's a holiday for hanging
Yeah it's a holiday for hanging
Yeah it's a holiday for hanging
Yeah it's a holiday for hanging
Yeah shoo-bop-shoo-bop my baby

Any fool can play executioner for a day
And say with fingers pointed in both directions
'He went thataway'
It's only a switch or syringe
Aww, exempt from eternal sins
But you still wear a cross
And you think you're gonna get in

Ah, but the pardons never come from up-stairs
They're always a moment too late
But it's entertainment
Keep the crowd on their toes
It's justice, we're safe
It's not a hit, it's a holiday
Shoo-bop-shoo-bop, my baby

It's a holiday for hanging, yeah
It's a holiday for hanging, yeah
It's a holiday for hanging, yeah
It's a holiday for hanging, yeah

I'm a holiday for hanging
I'm a holiday for hanging
I'm a holiday yeah
I'm a holiday for hanging
It's a holiday for hanging, yeah

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have such conflicted feelings about blogs. They're fabulous for keeping in touch with friends but in such a public-relations oriented world I'm hesitant to put myself out there since (esp. in the past) I used to tell people too much too soon. And I've rarely heard much sympathy for someone who's blog gets them in trouble even if they were writing anonymously/pseudonymously. I'm not writing for the whole world but blogging software doesn't allow for a variety of nuanced boundaries.

For a while I was starting up a new blog every time I got uncomfortable with whichever one I was posting in at the time but then I started to feel too fragmented, like blogging was creating more selves rather than allowing me to explore multiple aspects of a self.

5:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home