Wednesday, September 14, 2005

or if you haven't one

it's unlikely anyone has noticed that i've returned to writing on here (will tell people soon) - and i plan to write here with more ferocity and love than in the past (assuming i can also write my thesis and do everything else i want to do simultaneously). i look forward to this time - to share my thoughts and experiences, ways of interpreting music and other subcultural elements of life.

i don't take my goal here to be changing anything dramatically - affecting the world or united states politics. i take it to be helping me to reflect, think, and understand my own life and those around me. i have lots of ideas, always enjoy getting feedback on them, and there are more than enough people that i don't get to interact with in normal ways (face to face and often). so this is for those people and me. i confess that nothing will be spectacular or fantastic, but it'll be real - i hope that's good enough.

i'm back to teaching again this semester, only this time with a syllabus i designed myself and with a great class that makes my life easier by discussing the books with enthusiasm and energy.

this song is just plain amazing - lyrically, vocals, and especially musically. the instrumentation is fantastic (particularly the trumpet and organ parts). my brother and i were driving across the state of south dakota when i listened closely to the lyrics of this song for the first time (having listened to the music a number of times - my norm - always thought the music was great). my brother asked what it was that sufjan said after the bride comes lyric - i thought he was saying, there will be nice, there will be glad. it is in fact noise and not nice, but i think either one is still quite good - mark has identified that part of the lyrics as a special quote. it's a certainly a special song.

vito's ordination song by sufjan stevens

i always knew you
in your mothers arms
i have called your name
i've an idea
placed in your mind

to be a better man
i've made a crown for you
put it in your room

and when the bride groom comes
there will be noise
there will be glad
and a perfect bed

and when you write a poem
i know the words
i know the sounds
before you write it down

when you wear your clothes
i wear them too
i wear your shoes
and your jacket too

i always knew you
in your mothers arms
i have called you son
i've made amends
between father and son

or if you haven't one

rest in my arms
sleep in my bed
there's a design
to what i did and said

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home