Saturday, March 05, 2005

songs and girls

I've made it through another week, and I have to make it through one more to get to spring break. I think this is quite possible. It will be a lot of work, but that's fine. I need to write a take-home test, I need to make plans for next weekend, and I need to start working on my thesis - no small feats. But I'll make it I know.

Today was the recruiting day for the program I'm currently pursuing my MA in - they are trying to get me to take the PhD here, and there was a good deal of persuading going on I guess, but of the honest variety. Since I was doing the persuading some of the time, it was kind of an interesting situation going on. But there are definitely a few cool people looking at the program, and I appreciated meeting them whatever the case and situation.

I remember two years ago at this thing, being recruited the first time. It was the first time I've experienced something like that - quite an interesting experience - going some place, meeting lots of people telling you about things, getting free food and alcohol and stuff, trying to sort things out afterwards. I was nervous - I didn't know how to act or relate to people - I didn't know what was actually going on. Having gone through it once, I feel pretty confident in this sort of situation, on whatever side I'm on (in today's case, both) - I don't know what it will take to get me back out of a confidence bubble. I feel like I'm getting confident in a large variety and number of situations. I'm not sure exactly whether I'm going to be able to handle that - whether I'm going to want to keep pushing myself into crazy situations that I don't understand. It seems like that's what I continue to do in my life. But the good thing is, I'm pretty sure that I'll never run out of things that are strange and different, and I don't just mean adventure activities like skydiving - I mean regular and wonderful things like relationships with people and the first day of teaching class - I'm pretty sure I'll always have times of missing confidence, and I think I want that.

I've had a few conversations with friends at different points, and in this case more often with girls than with guys (though that could be a function of who I talk about with certain topics). At any rate, a few of my best girl friends have said at different points how they would like a song to have their name in it (especially the title), perhaps even be about them, but mostly just have some cool song with their name in it. Me being the amazing poet, I always offer to help.

Seriously though, what I should do is spend as much time as I can writing unique, interesting, and beautiful songs to match the girls I know. But I haven't yet. I haven't quite figured out how I can write a song about someone with their name in it. I have written songs that were inspired by people, but songs with someone's name/character is captured. That's difficult. This is not to say I'm not going to try. I am. And I know who I want to write about. And that's a good first step. But somehow or other, Ben Folds is damn good at this type of thing - not just about girls who are cool, but about people. He's really good at people songs, songs that reach out to me even when I feel like they are only slightly applicable to people I know - I can always imagine the person that he is describing, and that's special.

Kate by Ben Folds

She plays wipeout on the drums
the squirrels and the birds come
Gather around to sing the guitar
Oh I...have you got nothing to say

When all words fail she speaks
Her mix tape's a masterpiece
Walks through the garden
so the roses can see
Oh I...have you got nothing to say
And you can see the daisies
in her footsteps
Dandelions, butterflies
I wanna be Kate

Everyday she wars the same thing
I think she smokes pot
She's everything I want, She's everything I'm not
Oh. I...
Have you got nothing to say

She never gets wet
She smiles and it's a rainbow
And she speaks and she breathes
I wanna be Kate

Down by the Rosemary and Cameron
She hands out the Bhagaved Gita
I see her around every couple days
I wanna see her so that
I can say...hey Kate

She never gets wet
She smiles and it's a rainbow
Oh oh...You can see
I wanna wanna wanna wanna be
Kate, Kate, Kate, Kate, Kate, Kate
No, no, no, no, no

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home