Sunday, March 26, 2006

just as sure as my body begs for rest

it isn't easy to have an exciting, upbeat, fun, and enjoyable day when it's the weekend and over half the day is spent grading tests and papers. and tomorrow will be also. and i'm still up and it's late. but i've been working these last few hours so i can't really be unhappy with myself. except i should sleep now.

i cut my facial hair the last few days, chopping bits and pieces off, finally shaving most of the rest away (just leaving a few slivers here and there). i'm not sure why that's at all interesting. but it is a part of my life, and has been for quite a while - the best reason to grow facial hair (second best behind laziness, that is): cutting the facial hair down in an interesting and novel way. so i do that every so often.

tonight, after grading, i've been preparing myself to lead discussions down at saint olaf, for the two sections of environmental ethics. i'm really excited about this--i really can't wait. but i can't decide whether to prepare a lot or a little - i often find that having too much to do in discussion classes really kills the discussion, even if there is little chance any of the students are bored.

i'm not going to write anything insightful tonight, but this song is fitting, tonight and for many a night in my life. it's almost my life's theme song, though "i wanna be like you" from disney's jungle book is a close competitor. the only problem with morning watch is that i'm usually up late rather than up early, but i still feel like i'm awake early with the starlings.

morning watch by dolorean

i found myself again on the morningwatch
for those of us who cannot sleep
just because of the things we’ve done
we wake up early with the starlings
and as night’s sins fade away
and bee stings lose their swell
so begins my day, so ends my hell

and as night falls i prepare my bed
and curse the pillow’s stony lies
for just as sure as my body begs for rest
i’ll be up before the sunrise

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home