Monday, January 10, 2005

A Return of Sorts

I haven't written here for a while, for a number of reasons, most of them related to being busy and on break. We'll see if I can keep things going now.

Having made it through a very busy semester, I'm excited for two things: a more relaxed semester and a trip to London. I'm quite sure it will be a great trip. I don't especially like flying, but there aren't any trains to England yet (to my knowledge). The distance is quite simply too far for me to row - it seems farther than ever before.

I'll have an update on this trip later. But right now, it might humor some of you to read a few highlights of this last year - I'll keep adding to them as I remember them. And these short blips certainly don't do the memories justice. I did edit out the names from the way it was written up before. It shouldn't matter too much. And I'm not including a song's lyrics on this post. -- Best wishes this year - all of you.



my most difficult memories of this last year:

my brother's divorce - i spent a lot of time worrying about him and my niece

choosing to have the busiest semester of my life this fall making my life pretty difficult at times

not being in the same town as my girlfriend while we were dating - breaking up - asking her in december if she still liked me and her saying no


my best memories of this last year:

playing frisbee in the little park by the snelling house

teaching for the first time - i was sometimes nervous, always busy, but i really felt like i was doing something good

watching strange french movies with a friend last spring (still haven't found a movie as good as amelie to watch, but the best part is that it doesn't matter too much)

seeing some awesome concerts - ben folds and rilo kiley were great, and death cab for cutie was amazing

having academic discussions with friends

going to two conferences over the summer (in estes park and eugene) where i met a bunch of nice and interesting people

getting lost while wandering around prairie pothole wetlands - this was one of the most frustrating experiences of my life, but afterwards i've come to appreciate that frustration (and i bought a compass)

my birthday party when a bunch of friends from brookings and from college all came - i had an awesome time - a special friend made cake, we sat around and talked, and played frisbee

sitting around and talking to my parents while on break - this one seems pretty simple, but it's been a pretty big part of my life this last year

going on trips to western south dakota with friends over spring break and this summer - we saw buffalo and hung out in the hills

going catfish fishing with my dad and grandpa in june when the white river was running - taking pictures and wandering the river bottom

hanging out with my niece on my numerous visits to rapid city - she is an awesome little girl - i especially like playing hide and seek

sitting at home in my basement and playing online poker with my brother - i also owe him for exposing me to some great music this year

my favorite musical groups of the year: the shins, death cab for cutie, the postal service, iron and wine, and rilo kiley

watching eternal sunshine of the spotless mind and garden state - my two favorite movies of the year - runners up include i heart huckabees and fahrentheit 9/11

coaching soccer over the summer - as always i had fun coaching - i think it's my favorite job i've done - right now i'm not sure if i'll coach again this summer

going to a friend's cottage in wisconsin - playing music, going boating, and being with great friends

playing tennis with a friend last summer - i guess we didn't play more than once, and that wasn't for very long, but i felt as happy/content/comfortable as i can remember

dating a remarkable girl - someone with whom i love dreaming - there are more amazing memories than i will include here - i really think she is an amazing person, and i wish things had worked out better - i guess it's possible the future will be just as good

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home